Monday, September 10, 2007

Someone out there agrees with me!

I found this little snipet at the website www.evangelicalsformitt.com


A couple of months ago (before the Ames Straw Poll), I had the opportunity to meet Governor and Mrs. Romney in quite an unusual setting; in Church! Much to my surprise, they had no one else (as in entourage) with them. They simply arrived, found an empty place to sit and worshiped. As you may or may not be aware, Sabbath Day services in the LDS Church are comprised of 3 different 1 hour (approximately) blocks. They did not simply make a "face time" appearance, they attended all 3 meetings. I was impressed by their humility and lack of self-importance.
To the point of your article, I sat next to the Governor in one of those meetings. During the few minutes before the meeting began, we talked about a few things, including the fact that I had been hoping for his candidacy since he had done his turnaround of the SLC Olympics. As the class was about to begin, I told him, "Governor, it occurs to me that I have an opportunity here that I will likely never have again. I have a "Dream Team" as far as a ticket is concerned." He smiled and told me to go ahead. I gave him the name of someone who, I think, others in addition to myself could get behind. I told him, "Yourself and J.C. Watts". His response was, "Interesting".

I think the country has missed Mr. Watts service and, in so many ways, Mr. Watts would add to a ticket headed by Governor Romney. In one fell swoop, it would blast through 3 different barriers; Southern, Evangelical and Racial. The best part of a selection of Mr. Watts is that in no way is it simply a "token" or a "balancing" effort. I believe that he would simply be one of the best selections that any candidate could make.



- So, I'm not the only one who thinks Mr. Watts would add value to the ticket. I have to say the more I think about it the more it seems like it IS going to happen. Should be exciting.

No comments: